1. Be kind to each other. 2. No profanity. 3. Have the heart to help strengthen the body rather than tearing it down. 4. Speak freely but with respect of others.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
I am thinking of letting my 10 year old home school
12-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I am thinking of letting my 10 year old home school
This next year, we tried it once before but I have had fairly good luck with letting them go to school, and I am there 1/2 a day a week with each one, and monitor very close what they are doing. The work load on me filtering it is hard though, it does prove well for the kids as they now have no problem telling the teacher(s) "This isn't what I am here for and I will be in the libary".
In fact, many times the teachers quietly send them to the media center when they know they are creeping on subject matters I will erupt over.

Any suggestions for a 10 year old who is at the 11th grade in math, and 9.5 grade in reading? I prefer something computer oriented/based and it MUST include The Word.

Mike Holland
Warrenton, NC
http://www.giftedfaithful.org
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2012, 05:20 PM
RE: I am thinking of letting my 10 year old home school
Bless you Brother Mike. My children use http://www.aleks.com for math. It is a great program and fairly inexpensive. However, it does not contain 'the word'.
But then again, it does not contain much words except math directions and explanations. =)
As far as reading, check out http://www.queenhomeschool.com/ they have some great stuff.

Bless you!

Sister Shannon - California
01-07-2012, 05:25 PM
yah,homeschool your children and one day they might be as smart as me!!lol.shalom
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2012, 01:27 PM
fat chance Big Grin lol

_ Alias
01-29-2012, 04:59 PM
When my kids were homeschooled, used a lot of material from this website.
http://www.homeeducationresources.com
02-14-2012, 12:25 PM
rod and staff have a good reading and grammar books and materials for homeschooling from what I remember. They are used and produced by the Amish, if that may be an issue.
04-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Shalom...I have been thinking of having my girls home school, however not sure what program you use for the teaching. Reading the response from others, it looks like several different sources were used instead of a set curriculum from a single program.....is that correct? If you have information, that would be great.
04-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Beauty of homeschooling is that you CAN use lots of resources. To teach the Word, use the Word, have daily scripture reading.

I have heard Saxon math is just straight math, and old school type book.

McGuffey's readers are great for reading portion, and spelling. They are from late 1800's and by book six, you are at collegiate level in grammar, comprehension. They also have good morals in the stories.

Alpha and Omega is a Christian based curriculum and so is Son Light. And Abeka. Problem is not finding curriculum, but choosing one from among the many.

You might look to see if there is a homeschool convention coming to your area, there you can see lots of courses, and buy and sell used books.

Blessings
05-19-2012, 04:45 PM
(04-30-2012 07:43 AM)Sister Kate Wrote:  Beauty of homeschooling is that you CAN use lots of resources. To teach the Word, use the Word, have daily scripture reading.

I have heard Saxon math is just straight math, and old school type book.

McGuffey's readers are great for reading portion, and spelling. They are from late 1800's and by book six, you are at collegiate level in grammar, comprehension. They also have good morals in the stories.

Alpha and Omega is a Christian based curriculum and so is Son Light. And Abeka. Problem is not finding curriculum, but choosing one from among the many.

You might look to see if there is a homeschool convention coming to your area, there you can see lots of courses, and buy and sell used books.

Blessings

Hi Sister Kate!

How are you? I actually found a link for "old school" learning. This site had the mcguffey spelling curriculum and a few other things that would be helpful to anyone homeschooling.

http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/index.html
05-21-2012, 09:09 PM
We used the Saxon math up to, and including Algebra 2. My favorite text I used was an almost one hundred year old book on physiology (kind of an earth science).
05-22-2012, 03:33 AM
I personally think all Israelite Children should be home schooled.

Pastor

Pastor Dowell
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Shalom family I'm new to homeschooling and I have a 1yr old son and I just don't know where to start with schooling him. I read the 10 commandments to him in the morning and when he goest to sleep and I also read and go over colors but I just need direction in this area regarding teachings and worksheets and activates for him that incorporate the Word as well.
03-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Why are we so eager to give them worksheets and push them through learning? YAH designed us with a DESIRE to learn. All of us have it. Be at peace. You ARE homeschooling him now. We really need to let the 'public school' mindset go and focus on what the Most High wants.
You asked about teaching the word. You are doing that. He is way too young for worksheets. My 5yo is too young for worksheets. However, they learn just fine by example and through play and daily life. Be at peace. And pray that YAH will take off the government training that you went through so that your children are free to learn the way YAH designed them. Shalom, Sis!

Sister Shannon - California
03-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Thank you, thank you sister Halleluyah !! You are right ! I will be working hard to take off the government training that I went through. Gotta come out and get out of this domestication that I was born into and live and walk after the Way that Almighty YAh has put in front of me . Thank you Bless you Sister Love ya
Shalom

Why are we so eager to give them worksheets and push them through learning? YAH designed us with a DESIRE to learn. All of us have it. Be at peace. You ARE homeschooling him now. We really need to let the 'public school' mindset go and focus on what the Most High wants.
You asked about teaching the word. You are doing that. He is way too young for worksheets. My 5yo is too young for worksheets. However, they learn just fine by example and through play and daily life. Be at peace. And pray that YAH will take off the government training that you went through so that your children are free to learn the way YAH designed them. Shalom, Sis!

[/quote]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HOME SCHOOLING MATERIALS JustPlainJames 0 1,099 10-05-2012 05:32 AM
Last Post: JustPlainJames
  Do we really want our children in the public school system? Sister Lisa 0 1,257 06-28-2012 11:34 AM
Last Post: Sister Lisa